June 20, 2004

"I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life/Go ahead with your own life, and leave me alone."

Is the title of Bill Clinton's autobiography based on the Billy Joel song with the same title? (Hey, Billy Joel should go all Ray Bradbury on Clinton.) The story of Clinton getting mad on BBC TV when pressed too much about Lewinsky made me think of the Billy Joel song, the way it connects the idea that it's "my life" with an entitlement to be left alone. (The BBC story, in the Telegraph, was linked by Drudge.) Should interviewers give Clinton a pass, out of respect for the Presidency, or should they take advantage of his eagernesss to promote the book and badger him with Lewinsky questions? I'd say they should press him with tough questions, but respectfully.
They will tell you, you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you, you can't sleep with somebody else
Ah, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's okay, you wake up with yourself

No comments: