February 23, 2006

"American Idol" -- the results.

How they fill out a whole hour is a big TV mystery. They're eliminating two girls and two guys.

First, it's Becky who must go. Here's what I said about her performance:
I find her intolerably phony. But she's doing "Because the Night." That's something. Let's listen. Yikes! She's doing Patti Smith, cornball style. She's gesticulating in a way that says: you must find me sexy. Patti would never do that!
She's still pretty. They ask her to sing her (losing!) song again, and she takes the mike and does a damned pageant speech about the opportunity "American Idol" has provided... blah blah. She sings. I block it out. Who cares? She lost! She was bad! She's still young and pretty. You'd be an idiot to feel sorry for Becky. Extra question: what's with wearing jeans under a knee-length dress?

Now, cut a guy. I'm hoping it's someone other than Bobby, just to make things interesting. But it is Bobby. And it should be. He talks a lot, all about how cool it was for him to make it to the final 24.

Now, they cut Stevie Scott, who really was weak last night. I like her, but, what the hell? She was never going to win.

And, now, they cut Patrick! Oh, he wasn't bad. That hurts a little. But let this be a warning: quit singing "Come to My Window."

12 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

Which did you enjoy most today: Scalia's presentation or 'American Idol'? (Seriously.)

esk said...

I wasn't pleased to see Patrick cut this evening, only because we had to listen to him sing “Come to My Window” yet again! I think you need to change your warning to: don’t sing that song unless you’re a rocker chick!

Pete said...

Those who went were gonna go sometime so only mild disappointment about the timing. I'm glad Becky's was let go early, though. Clearly she was there only for her looks and having her go allows me to think there's some justice in these things.

And, funny, I just realized how goofy it is to have the loser perform again their losing performance. Especially at this stage of the game. You get a reminder of how bad they were and none of them disappointed.

Telecomedian said...

One thing about Becky, besides her obvious overall ginchiness - she had a very good lower register. Her voice is very smoky, very textured. She could probably never be the pop princess that AI would like, but she could easily have a Fiona Apple-esqe album or two in her. Perhaps even vocal jazz standards.

Now, I only heard her sing twice, and did not hear her performance the other night. Still...good low range, smokin' hot - she'll find a job somewhere.

In fact, I could use an assistant on rebuilding my neighbor's balcony...

Ann Althouse said...

"Come to My Window" -- I'd like to hear it sung -- by a rocker chick or whatever -- as if it were addressed to a beloved window that had fallen into a coma: "Come to, my window."

Mark Daniels said...

Ann:
That was paneful.

Mark

PS: Actually, it was clever enough to make me wish that I'd thought of it!

Ann Althouse said...

Mark: "Which did you enjoy most today: Scalia's presentation or 'American Idol'?"

Given how clumsily they went about presenting the results on AI last night and the fact that the solo singing was all done by the worst performers and I always speed by the group sing, I'd have to say Scalia's presentation.

Laura Reynolds said...

Clearly, for Patrick, it was an open and shut case..

Mom said...

. . . or a shattering experience.

Laura Reynolds said...

I enjoyed reading about Scalia's presentation more than AI.

VekTor said...

You have to assume that if you sing a song on AI that has the refrain "I'll be coming home soon" that the voters are going to key off of that subliminally, and make it a reality.

"Come To My Window" is a "Song of Doom" on that show, and that probably factors into it somewhat.

Patrick was just too "meh" for me, and it didn't help that he had that Big Bird neck and a nose that was way, way too sharp.

Lesson: Don't tempt fate like that when you're on the bubble.

Dad said...

That window song is silly.