December 29, 2012

"Don’t trade up..."

That's a rule that "starts out as a bit of simple, practical instruction — don’t back out of a social engagement just because a snazzier offer came along — and broadens out into an entire perspective on how to live."
Don’t grade friendships on a hierarchical scale. Don’t value people based on some external indicator of status. Don’t take a competitive view of your social life. There are very few rules I carry around with me every day. Don’t trade up is one of them, and I truly can’t tell you how many seemingly complicated situations it resolved into clarity and fairness. I am grateful to you for that.
One of the lessons learned. 

Plus... handmade impromptu gifts, like a little chair made out of that wire that goes around a champagne cork.

12 comments:

DADvocate said...

Don’t value people based on some external indicator of status.

My ex values people almost solely on external indicators of status, female doctors preferred. Once I made a less than glowing comment about a woman, and my ex replied, in all sincerity, "She drives a Lexus!"

She doesn't have many friends and doesn't understand why.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

An honorable way of Galt?

The list takes on a virtuous character.

Darcy said...

Good advice.

And those people who "traded up"...did they really trade up? Only in their shallow minds.

edutcher said...

People are not commodities.

ricpic said...

Rakoff: Don't trade up.

Friend of Dave: What a great life lesson. By the way, I've been invited to visit a leper colony, care to join me?

Rakoff: Uh...pass.

Rusty said...

edutcher said...
People are not commodities.

No they're not.

Say. You want to be a buddy and help me dig a hole?

Robert Cook said...

"People are not commodities."

In the context of our present economic system, that's all we are.

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rusty said...

Robert Cook said...
"People are not commodities."

In the context of our present political system, that's all we are.


fixed that for you.


Robert Cook said...

Rusty,

Same difference.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I only know so much about Chip... but this guy sounds familiar.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I was working this morning and had no time to say this when I thought of it.