October 23, 2014

"Born Bernard Jewry in the East End of London in 1942, his hits included My Coo Ca Choo, Jealous Mind and I Feel Like Buddy Holly."

"In 1973 he signed with Magnet Records and took on the name that would make him famous. 'It started off as Elvin Starr, because they wanted a kind of rocky, country name,' he recalled in 2010. 'But [a woman] who was doing promotion for us said it wasn't "glam-rocky" enough, so it became Stardust and then Alvin.'"

I'm sorry I don't even remember Alvin Stardust, but he has died at the age of 72. A British glam rock star whose 1973 hit went like this:

6 comments:

traditionalguy said...

That Utube was a great example of the power of male seduction. All the Islamc State has to do is change the words to Jihad pop and send it out.

PuertoRicoSpaceport.com said...

Having looked at 30 seconds of the video, I can see why neither you nor I remember him.

John Henry

Widmerpool said...

Highly recommend his very enjoyable entry in Allmusic:


http://www.allmusic.com/artist/alvin-stardust-mn0000011207/biography

David said...

Elvis-Orbison-Everly combo derivative. That alone is pretty interesting.

Wince said...

Even Morrissey doesn't owe this Elvis impersonator anything.

And meanwhile, Althouse never acknowledged the passing of Eli Wallach.

You got some splainin' to do.

Will Cate said...

Hell, I always thought that was T-Rex when I heard that song. That's clearly the sound he's imitating.