August 24, 2005

Old photos.

My son John scanned some photos taken in 1980 and 1981 (the year he was born) and posted them on his Flickr page (appropriately labeled so you can see which ones I took and which ones his father Richard took). The pictures show me, Richard, his brothers Steve and Andy, and his mother Jean. Jean died this Sunday. Let's take a glimpse at the family dynamic, in two photos I took in 1980.

Richard with his mother at our dining table:

~~~

Steve, acting comical, and seemingly outraging Jean. I think she's outraged not because he's making fun of religion, but because he's making fun of her objet d'art:

~~~

11 comments:

amba said...

So, do blondes have more fun?

Pancho said...

Were those out-takes from some discarded Al Pacino film?

Ann Althouse said...

Pancho: I'm trying to think of which yelled Al Pacino line would best express my experience of my marriage.

Ron said...

Ann: "I'm out of order? YOU'RE out of order!" or worse, "I'm tryin' to get out -- and they keep draggin' me back in!"

Richard looks like he just got off the stage of Jesus Christ Superstar! (and I suppose you would now have to sing, "I don't know how to love him.")

Ron said...

Steve looks like he just recorded "Purple Rain!" Will he change his name to a symbol and then change it back?

Ann Althouse said...

Yeah, what's with the rainbow suspenders? Check the photoset. Everyone seems to have them. I can't figure out if there was one pair of rainbow suspenders with guys taking turns wearing them or if everyone had their own. Was it some Mork and Mindy thing???

amba said...

Funny, Richard looks exactly like I imagined him from his blog (except younger, of course).

Freeman Hunt said...

Haha, amba, same here. I had the same thought as Pancho too. The pictures of Richard kept making me think of Serpico.

Very nice pictures too. (Yours are better than his. Just saying/typing.)

Ann Althouse said...

Ron: Sure it's not Godspell?

Finn Alexander Kristiansen said...

Something about black and white photos really captures life, or the mood of life.

Ron said...

Ann: I have blissfully forgotten Godspell...brrr...I wonder if there are any 'rock/religious' efforts that are below even these...

There's an exercise: What New Testament character are you? What book most resembles your life?



BTW, at least it's not the Turkish Wizard of Oz!

http://www.disinfotainmenttoday.com/
darenet/turkishwizard.htm