January 4, 2007

Blogger glitch.

For some reason, clicking on comments from the main page or from the January 2007 archive page won't take you into the comments page. If you start on an archive page other than January, however, things work normally. Oddly, going along with this glitch is a change in the way the archive list is formatted. I have it set for the dates to appear like this: January 2007. But I'm currently seeing dates like this: 01/01/2007 - 01/31/2007. The wrong style for writing the dates only appears on the pages that don't work properly. This happened once before, and I think maybe just publishing a new post solves the problem. I tried going to "Settings" and changing my preference for the date formatting and republishing, but that didn't fix it. I'm hoping that publishing this will solve the problem. If you've got any ideas you'd like to share, you won't be able to put them in the comments, so search for "gmail" on this page, and you'll see how to email me.

UPDATE: I may have fixed it, not by publishing this, but by turning the dreaded word verification back on. Don't worry. I'm going to turn it off again.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Yeah, fixed. Comment away! Not necessarily here. This is a boring post now. But blogging being what it is -- a cult! -- I cannot remove this post. What is done is done. This is the past. You can't change it. Except at the bottom, with a capitalized "UPDATE" or "AND," followed by a colon. AND, it's January 4, 2007. Let's get on with the day. It's still dark, here in Madison, Wisconsin, my remote outpost in the northern central United States. The NYT has arrived, the table is still cluttered with piles of CDs I'm been unsystematically importing into my computer, and, on the other side, piles of exams I've been -- systematically! -- grading. It's trash day. I can hear the neighbor rumbling his big plastic trash bin out of its parking spot by the side of the house. I've already gone out to get the paper, but I didn't take my plastic bag of trash out yet. I'm going to make a second trip out to the curb with the trash, because I don't like putting out a plastic bag of trash when it's still dark. There are all sorts of nocturnal critters who would be only too glad to have the chance to rip that thing open and feast. They can even gnaw a hole in the outdoor trash bin -- if you put out the sort of fragrant garbage that drives them mad. Somehow, the daylight makes them behave. Does the daylight make you behave?

AND: Did I change the subject in the middle of that last update, or was that some sort of metaphor about my life in blogging? I thought I did, but now I feel like it was.

8 comments:

AllenS said...

Fortunately for you, squirrels are not nocturnal.

Simon said...

Ann - this seems like as good an opportunity as any for me to risk sounding (inter alia) pushy by asking if you got my email earlier in the week?

Smilin' Jack said...

But blogging being what it is -- a cult! -- I cannot remove this post. What is done is done. This is the past. You can't change it.

Plus ca change etc.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.


the rubaiyat - omar khayyam - 11th century

John Kindley said...

Don't fret Ann. Your true blue fans will forget all those rotten things you said as you resume your typical wholesome and thoughtful fare. The cold light of morning reminds you that if you put something out there in the dark that is a little too ripe, somebody's liable to spread it across your front lawn. More illumination or less odor, and the critics -- er, I mean critters -- aren't quite so bold.

John Kindley said...

Hey, is it safe to turn off comment moderation yet? Is that one particularly ugly critter still lurking about?

Anonymous said...

Ann, have you upgraded to the new blogger? If not, why not?

Anonymous said...

(My apologies if I just double-posted, blogger appeared to deny my login, then allowed it without notice. Just delete this, please, and any double comment).

American Fabric Filter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.