November 15, 2008

"I had one [of my teeth] chipped out with a chisel. My teeth are just so big and white -- a homeless person would never have them."

"I wanted to break up my big, shining piano keys to five them a little character. Some might think I f**ked up my grill for nothing, but I just wanted to come up with some s**t to make the part unique."

That's Jamie Foxx. Crazy? But if it is crazy, then it's one more way he's getting into character for the role -- the schizophrenic musician Nathaniel Ayers.

***

Interesting use of the word "five." Presumably, not a typo. From Urban Dictionary: "To give, hand or pass something from one person to another (because your hand, which you use to pass the thing, has five fingers). Man, this food has no flavor. Could you five me the salt?"

14 comments:

Wince said...

Was that a natural tooth he had "chipped out"?

Joe M. said...

Crazy.

Daryl said...

OR he lost his tooth in some unrelated manner, and is now talking tough so he can get artistic cred.

Jamie, the next time you decide to disfigure yourself, tape it and put it up on YouTube.

Freeman Hunt said...

I love the art of acting. We even named our son after an actor. But this, not part of the art. This is nutty. We have this stuff called makeup and these things called effects...

Wince said...

freeman,

I certainly hope that actor's name was not Mike!

Meade said...

Oh come on -- one tooth? How much can an implant cost?

Kensington said...

It reminds me of a Marathon Man anecdote.

After watching Dustin Hoffman literally run himself ragged in preparation for a shot in which he was to appear exhausted, Sir Laurence Olivier mildly suggested that his younger co-star consider "acting."

I don't know if it's true, but it's always cracked me up.

Freeman Hunt said...

I certainly hope that actor's name was not Mike!

Ha ha. No. That name is strictly verboten for anyone in the family.

He's named after Toshiro Mifune.

Richard Fagin said...

I found out how culturally disconnected I am to learn for the first time that there is an Urban Dictionary.

I suspect my African American neighbors here in the way far out 'burbs probably don't know many more of the entries in that dictionary than I do. Probably why they live out here with us.

Ron said...

I'm there m'man! I'm in pre-production prep for The Sidney Greenstreet Story, and have been for years!

Jeff with one 'f' said...

It drives my girlfriend crazy when I ask her to "style" me the salt!

Chip Ahoy said...

Similarly, Jim Carey has a genuinely chipped front tooth that was fixed. he unfixed it for his role in Dumb and Dumber. Presumably, had it re-fixed.

But that isn't similar, is it? This here is straight-up insane.

The Spanish channels do a lot of tooth blackening to depict a lost tooth on their comedy. It's so obvious, that that becomes part of the humor.

Patrick Wahl said...

Five should be Give, keys next to each other on the keyboard.

stoqboy said...

Five me is similar to "beer me." From the Urban Dictionary: Used by character Andy in "Product Recall" episode of "The Office" ("the joke only gets a laugh 25% of the time").