March 8, 2014

"We have an old Japanese saying, ‘Too fat to be wise,’ but the fact is the contrary. We must show the world the success of the fat."

"On the pattern of foreign governments, was the Constitutionalism of Japan organized. It is a derivative from the countries of bigger people than the Japanese."
Though fat men are as a rule despised by rickshaw drivers and girls, this is not right. We must not be discouraged. I hope that one day all of Japan’s people will be as big as we are. If so, Japanese will be invincible.
At the feast of the fat men, 100 years ago in Japan, they formed the Great Weight Society — Tairyo-kai.

(What was happening in Japan in 1914? That "Japanese will be invincible" material turns the American mind to World War II, and 1914 is the year World War I began. Here's an interesting historical account.)

7 comments:

rhhardin said...

I am fat woman

Helen Reddy

Mitch H. said...

What is this, Wrong About Japan day?

richard mcenroe said...

Yeah, remember all those skinny Buddha statues...?

Ann Althouse said...

"Yeah, remember all those skinny Buddha statues...?"

I sure do.

Stephen said...

This is so funny. I actually drive/pedal a rickshaw for extra money. And I LOVE fat people. Fat people almost always means more money. They know they're fat and they tip extra large.

Stephen said...

Test post....I just updated my profile to actually display my name. Want to see if it works.

Stephen said...

Cool. "Unknown" is me if anyone gives a shit.