April 6, 2014

"I reject the premise of that question."

Something I just found myself saying, which I learned the value of saying somewhere in this hour-and-a-half conversation with Larry David, which I watched in full and immensely enjoyed yesterday:



I used the useful expression in the comments thread to "If it is unconscionable to support a company whose CEO once donated to the cause against marriage equality..." where I called 2013 the year of amnesty "for every politician who had secretly supported marriage equality or who didn't mind it enough to miss out on getting in good with the sector of our society that had come to believe in the righteousness of marriage equality," and somebody asked: "How do you really know what politicians think?"

11 comments:

halojones-fan said...

Does a dog have the Buddha-nature?

J Lee said...

I suppose for the 2016 president election, the question of Democratic hopefuls should probably be if they have donated and/or are an actively participating member in a religious denomination which opposes same-sex marriage.

None of them are going there, of course, because outside of, say, the left side of the Presbyterians, reform and some conservative Judaism and 1-2 other less prominent denominations, none of the politicians who've 'evolved' in 2012-13 are willing to be at the forefront of the next 'evolution'. They may secretly be cheering on those who in the near future who make being an open participant in the Catholic Church, the Baptist Convention or Orthodox Judaism the equivalent of making a donation to Proposition 8 six years ago. But they're not going to lead that battle any more than they led the fight for support of same-sex marriage.

Ann Althouse said...

The "reject the premise" business begins around 1 hour and 18 minutes.

Wince said...

Isn't "intentional mumbling" actually muttering?

Humperdink said...

Mumble, mutter, murmur, mussitate

Ann Althouse said...

Having done babble, blabber, blather yesterday, I don't think the internet is ready for my disquisition on murmur, mutter, mumble. There's also maunder and meander.

tim maguire said...

How'd you sit throught that? It's so insidery I couldn't understand what they were talking about half the time. And I've seen almost every Seinfeld episode.

Ann Althouse said...

"How'd you sit throught that?"

By listening and not watching and doing other things at the same time.

Anonymous said...

They missed the best response to a mumble.
Mumble back.

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure of everything I think, Althouse, let alone, you, the especially dedicated blogger.

It's all kind of a mystery sometimes. I just want my leaders within normal levels of expected bullshit, especially when it's something I care about.

Too much or too little bullshit and I grow extra-suspicious.

The Roller said...

Apparently, Larry has serious issues that even large piles of earned assets can't help.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/larry-david-larry-eats-a-pancake